Thursday, March 3, 2011

15 Days: Countdown to ELWA

Two weeks from tomorrow, I will be on my way to ELWA, Liberia, West Africa--my childhood home.

I went to Walmart this afternoon and picked up a bunch of unexciting stuff like sunscreen, deet, immodium, hand sanitizer, a pair of sandals and various other practical stuff.   Finding a small fan and summer clothes has been a challenge because it's winter in Colorado.

I have to admit that I am somewhat overwhelmed at all I need to do before I can leave.   I think I might be in a little denial that I'm really going!  Mostly I am excited----so, so excited!!

I decided to focus in on a couple projects for the trip:

1.  I attended ELWA Academy and got an amazing education there!  I have many fond memories (and, of course, some not-so-fond ones also.)  Today, ELWA Academy provides education for Liberian students.  Scholarships are needed!   

2.  There is an orphanage near ELWA:  the Susie Guenter Orphanage.  In January, a sewing center was started there.  They need sewing supplies, especially good quality thread.  I hope to take a suitcase 1/2 full of sewing supplies!

Would you be willing to help me with either of these two projects?   All money gifts I get will go directly to these projects.  Thanks for considering helping the Liberian people.

I was planning on creating a fancy power point this evening with pictures and graphics and text telling all about my trip, the history of ELWA, what I'm going to be doing, etc.  ---but I ran out of time and energy.   Instead, I'll share a few here and hopefully more as I count down the days to my trip!

 This is my family posed near the front door of our house (poinsettia bushes in the background):  Dad, Connie, Me, Mom and Brenda in the stroller.  No comments about my pixie haircut, please.....


 This is my 3rd/4th grade class picture.  I'm in the front row, 2nd from the right.  It is a huge amount of fun and a wonderful blessing to continue friendships with several of my school mates in this picture!   Below.....Karen and me just this past weekend...




This is what ELWA Academy classrooms looked like.  Louvered windows let in the humid, salty Atlantic ocean breeze.......and speaking of the ocean....
ELWA beach.....one of the most beautiful places in whole wide world.   And a great playground for a bunch of missionary kids over the years!!

Well, it's late and I've got a looooonnnnnggggg day at work tomorrow.  Thanks for your interest in my trip!  I appreciate your prayers as you think of me....

Pray:
1.  That my passport, visa and all necessary paperwork will get to me in the next few days.
2.  That God would prepare the way ahead of me and my team.  I look forward to divine appointments and holy appointments!!
3.  That I would manage my time and priorities wisely.
4.  That I would have a very productive weekend.


If you feel led to give, send your money gifts to:
Robin Zook
6437 Galway Dr.
Colorado Springs,  CO  80918


Just passing through.....
Robin

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Robin! If you want, you can post and use the EMAUSA YouTube video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWrnFNRFFH0 or get the embed link

    ReplyDelete